The Castle of Porciano overlooks the town of Stia and the Casentino Valley.
Ever since the 11th century Porciano was under the jurisdiction of the powerful Counts Guidi, owners of many other castles in Tuscany and Romagna. The large palatial tower, which dominates the village,was built during the 13th century. In Casentino, the most famous castles are Poppi, Romena and Porciano. The Castle of Porciano, a private property, is the only one to have come back to life both as a museum and as a home.
Dante Alighieri was a guest of the Counts Guidi in the 13th century during his exile from Florence. Here, in 1311, he wrote three famous letters, “To the princes and people of Italy”, “To the Florentines”, “To Henry VII”.
The Guidis left Porciano in 1442. It became the property of the Republic of Florence and successively of the town of Stia. Already in a state of ruin, it was bought in 1793 by an ancestor of the actual owner Martha Spect Corsi, Abate Count Giuseppe Goretti de Flamini. From the late 18th century on, only very basic restoration was done.
Since 1963, Martha'parentsi, George Specht and Flaminia Goretti de Flamini, dedicated many years to complete the restoration of this monument.
All the interior of the Castle had caved in (see photo at left); even the perimeter walls of the tower were heavily damaged.
The Italian state bureau of the arts directed all the work, and granted some funding towards the work essential to the stability and conservation of this medieval monument.
The three lower floors are open to the public (see Museum), while the three upper floors are a home to the owners.
To view the leaflet on the Castle in pdf click here or click on the cover in the right column to read and download it).
For further information please call: +39.337.671.277